What We Do
To thousands of Bay Area residents living in poverty, justice is not an abstract ideal. It is food, shelter and protection. It is the difference between staying in poverty and getting out; between dependence and self-reliance. But without help, justice is often denied.
Bay Area Legal Aid (BayLegal) strengthens our community by fighting for justice. We provide low-income clients with free civil legal assistance, including legal advice and counsel, effective referrals, and legal representation. We are the largest and only poverty law firm serving seven Bay Area counties– Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara.
We serve clients through the following practice areas and special projects
- Homelessness Prevention, including landlord-tenant matters, unlawful evictions
- Fair Housing Law Enforcement
- Domestic Violence Prevention and Immigration (VAWA) related matters
- Youth Justice Project
- Economic Justice Project – Public Safety-Net Programs
- Consumer Law – Debtor’s Rights, Fair Credit Reporting
- Health Care Access
- Legal Barriers to Employment Project
- Medical-Legal Collaborative: SFGH Pediatric Unit and BayLegal team up
- Veterans Project