BayLegal’s Practice Areas
We serve clients through the following practice areas and special projects:
- CONSUMER: unfair and deceptive business practices, debt collection abuses and harassment, student loan collection, credit access and inaccurate reporting, and enforcement of other consumer rights and remedies
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PREVENTION: family law and immigration relief for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault
- ECONOMIC JUSTICE: income security, removal of barriers to employment, SSI/SSDI, CalWorks, General Assistance, CalFresh, and county-based indigent programs
- HEALTH CARE ACCESS: essential health care access, including Medi-Cal, Denti-Cal, Medicare, Paratransit, county-based indigent programs, In-Home Supportive Services, Covered California, and private health insurance.
- HOUSING PRESERVATION and HOMELESSNESS PREVENTION: landlord-tenant matters, subsidized and public housing issues, unlawful evictions, foreclosures, habitability, and enforcement of fair housing laws
- MEDICAL-LEGAL PARTNERSHIP: holistic services at San Francisco General Hospital
- RE-ENTRY PROJECT: holistic support and legal representation for formerly incarcerated populations
- VETERANS: holistic support and legal representation for low-income veterans and their families
- YOUTH JUSTICE PROJECT: holistic support and legal representation for homeless and at-risk youth
Bay Area Legal Aid’s attorneys and paralegals help people with civil legal problems. We do not provide help with criminal matters. For help with a criminal matter, please call your local Public Defender’s office or bar association.
For civil legal help, please call our Legal Advice Line to apply for assistance:
Alameda County – (510) 250-5270
Contra Costa County West – (510) 250-5270
Contra Costa County East – (925) 219-3325
Marin County – (415) 354-6360
Napa County – (707) 320-6348
San Francisco – (415) 354-6360
San Mateo County – (800) 551-5554
Santa Clara County – (408) 850-7066
Toll-Free – (800) 551-5554
Is your county not listed? Visit www.lawhelpca.org to find your local legal aid provider.
Hearing Impaired? Call California Relay Service: Dial 711 or from TTY dial 1-800-735-2929 or visit http://www.ddtp.org/california_relay_service/